Log In |
Search: Go
Rutland Charter Township Web Site

Home>FAQ Page

Return to Home PagePrintable View of This Page

Frequently Asked Questions


Why didn't I receive my Assessment Notice this year?
Assessment Notices are sent out once a year on March 1st to all residents whose assessment has changed.  If your assessment did not change from the previous year,you will not receive an Assessment Notice.


What projects need building permits?
  • All new buildings
  • All additions to existing buildings
  • Renovations/alterations: kitchen remodels, finish basements, strip & reroofing and replacement windows.
  • All building & structures demolitions
  • Decks
  • Pools/Spas
  • Fireplaces


What is a building permit?

This is a license to legally start construction of a building project.


What is the building permit process?
  • Meet your building department official
  • Submit building permit application
  • Wait for permit review process
  • Receive results of permit review process
  • Receive building permit
  • Request and receive inspection results
  • Receive all final approvals
  • Obtain Certificate of Occupancy (permission to utilize the building)


What projects need a Zoning permit?
  • Commercial signs & banners
  • All fences
  • Temporary structures


What is the purpose of permits?

Permits allow the enforcement of the codes, which have been adopted by the State, County and Township.  The enforcement of the codes is carried out to protect the public health, safety and welfare.


Why are permits used?
Permits are valuable tool needed to provide a vital step in enforcement of codes.  Permits insure code compliance, also that your property is protected and that your value is maintained.  It also provides as communication for understanding the codes and laws of the community.  Permits also insure that minimum standards are met and proper materials are used.


What is your mailing address?

Rutland Charter Township

2461 Heath Road

Hastings,  MI  49058

What are the Township Hall's phone numbers?

Phone- (269) 948-2194

Fax- (269) 948-4180

When can I pay my taxes?

Treasurer's office hours: Monday & Tuesday 9am --3pm

                             Wednesday & Thursday  9am--12pm                    

 Please use the drop box at any other time.

                         Thank-You !

How can I get a copy of the Township Zoning Ordinance or Master Plan?

A copy of the Master Plan is available for download on this web site. 

Copies are available for a fee at the Township Hall during regular business hours.

When do my Taxes get mailed and when are they due?

Taxes are due twice a year, winter and summer.

Winter Taxes:

Mailed out on Dec. 1st

Due on Feb. 15th

Summer Taxes:

Mailed out on July 1st

Due on Sept. 14th

Do I need a Burn Permit and where do I get one?

You do need a Burn Permit in Rutland Charter Township.  Please contact The City of Hastings/BIRCH Fire Department.

(269) 205-3208

Who do I contact if I have a complaint or inquiry on my video/cable service?

Customers should first attempt to resolve the complaint by directly contacting their video/cable company.  However, if customers are not able to resolve their complaints with the company, they may contact the Michigan Public Service Commission for assistance.  

Michigan Public Service Commission

Attn:  Video Franchising

6545 Mercantile Way

Lansing, MI 48909

(866) 552-7725


Do you handle dog complaints?

We do not have any zoning ordinances regulating dogs in the Township. Any dog complaints need to be handled by the Barry County Animal Control Office in Hastings.  However, a kennel permit is required for households with three or more dogs.

Phone no. - (269) 948-4885 (Animal Control)

What does my zoning have to be to allow horses or cows on my property?

You are allowed to have horses and cows in both the "AG/OS" and "CR" zoning Districts.  For further information, please refer to Zoning Ordinance Article IV for "AG/OS" and Article V for "CR".


Rutland Charter Township | 2461 Heath Road | Hastings, MI 49058 | 269-948-2194